Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Time to get serious about learning!

So I've realized that over the last year or so, I've become quite lazy in my "learning". What I mean is that I've realized I don't really read as much as I used to, and thus my spiritual maturity has suffered. So this year I've set myself a challenge to read as much as I possibly can. Given that I'm incredibly bad at sticking to one book until the end, I've decided to read two books at a time, plus complete a devotional, and not start another one until I finish one of them...this is tough for me... trust me! :)

I've been doing pretty well so far actually, particularly given I only set myself such a task in April! I'm quite proud of myself. So without further ado..the books I've read and recommend to you are as follows :


This was a small devotional written by Matt & Beth Redman, who wrote the song "Blessed Be Your Name" which just so happens to be one of my favourite worship songs. It is filled with inspirational stories of what happens when you choose to praise God despite your circumstances. It's one I'm sure I'll pick up again and again.

Okay, I'm going to be writing a lot about this book in the coming months, because it really inspired me so much. Rob Bell, famous for his book "Velvet Elvis" & the NOOMA short films, has written this fantastic book on the connection between sexuality & spirituality. This book should be compulsory for everyone to read, but particularly single girls my age (who are wanting to continue to honour God's plan for our lives) and as pre-marriage counselling for all Christian couples. It's quite frankly brilliant.
This book was written by my dear friend GaryBishop, and is an inspirational look at how we as The Salvation Army can get back into the Darkest places of our society that we have perhaps forgotten. It's a great follow up to those who have read General Booth's "In Darkest England and the Way Out". Gary has shared stories about the Eden Openshaw team (you all know I love them and am inspired by them in my own journey!) and how they have gone back into "Darkest England" to work with the marginalized and unchurched in Openshaw, Manchester. "Darkest England & The Way Back In" should be compulsory reading for all young salvationists!

I know most people have already read this one, but I hadn't. Until it was decided by the Torquay Salvo's leadership team that we should read it. So I have. It's kinda long, and detailed, and a lot of the stuff in it you already know, but it consolidates that. It's a worthwhile read for church planters...and whilst I still struggle with the idea of "mega churches", it did help me realize that they have their good points too. Rick Warren writes very well, and you don't get too lost in the detail which is good. It's also great that most of what he says is based on Scripture, which means that you can't really dispute it. He's done well. I'm glad I read it.

The books I'm currently reading:

Devotional: I'm doing the Bible Study of Angela Thomas' book "Do You think I'm Beautiful?" which helps encourage women to explore the questions at a woman's heart. It's a really good book for all those women out there who struggle with the issue of beauty and whether they really fit the model of "beautiful" I'm learning a lot about myself, and about God!


Another book you'll probably hear a lot about from me, is Rob Bell's other book "Velvet Elvis". I love the way Rob Bell communicates, and invites you in to his world and his theology, not as a way of forcing you to agree with him or shoving it down your throat but in a "What if" or "What do you think about" sort of way. It's really quite unique, and I'm enjoying learning more about my faith through him.

I'm also reading "Outrageous God, Outrageous Women" by Ross Saunders, which isn't an easy read. It's focusing on the outrageousness of the women of the bible, and how they broke down social normaties in order to follow Jesus. It's interesting, but not "before bed" reading!

In my quest to read more, please feel free to recommend any books you think I would benefit from! :) And let me know what you are reading at the moment too!

Blessings,
Sare x

No comments: