Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Suck It Up Princess!!!

Okay so I've just gotten through my first week of classes at Colelge - granted they are Orientation, but to be honest, I've been blessed every step of the way. There's not been one day or one thing we've done that's made me go "ugh" and even the "house duties" (cleaning) isn't all that bad... when you know why you're here and you have CHOSEN to have a good attitude about things, it really does make a difference.

For example - we've been given the "Stoke It Up Challenge" which basically is our Training Principal's way of getting us (a) working as a team and (b) to challenge ourselves out of our comfort zone. Some of you Australia Southern guys will know that this challenge caused quite the "outrage" a few years ago when it was first given, and people were annoyed or frustrated or scared or whatever to take it for what it is. Yes there are some things on the challenge that are said kind of in jest - but kind of not - things like using Phillips Airways (ie teleporting yourself) because lets face it - if any of us had the faith to actually do it - we totally would! Some people are offended by the suggestion we can raise the dead... I question why? Jesus did, the disciples did, the bible says that we can do all things Jesus did - so why be offended? Has anyone I know seen anyone raised from the dead? No! But something tells me that these things are on the list, not because it would be cool to see them happen - but as an exercise in testing our faith. Do we really believe what the bible says about what we can do? And if so, do we have the faith to act on it even if it means we "fail"?

There are a few people who have been a bit negative about the activity. I just simply don't see why! I think it's a good thing to get us working as teams and getting out onto the streets doing things to stretch us, our faith and our experience of God.

I will admit that tonight I was taken WAAAAYYYYY out of my comfort zone...like ridiculously so! My friend Rachel and I took the challenge to the streets of St Kilda tonight, and tried our hand at street evangelism. Neither of us are really keen on this form of evangelism, basically as we don't feel we are very good at it. We went and asked God to stretch us... and stretch us He did! We chatted to a few people who were happy to say hi but that was it, a man who chatted to us for a while about his ailments but wouldn't allow us to pray for him, and a Salvo guy I'd known from my childhood.

We were starting to lose a bit of faith in the activity and I'll admit I was starting to feel a bit negative when three things happened:
1. I was reminded gently in my spirit of the nickname we'd come up with for the challenge (to challenge those who were negative about it) - that being the "Suck It Up" challenge - and I said to myself "Suck it Up Princess - do the task"...
2. My friend Rachel said to me "Maybe this is a test of our faith and perserverance".
3. Not long after that, we met a man who initiated the God conversation after we introduced ourselves! He was 99.9% sure there was a God he just needed PROOF. So we chatted to him for ages, sharing our testimonies and talking about what we believe. Then we got to pray for him!! What an awesome God we serve! A God who is ever wanting to show up for us when we start to doubt ourselves!

So my new message to myself is Suck It Up Princess!! You can't be a warrior princess if you are too scared to get out of your comfort zone.

I challenge you to do the same...find something you're not so sure about and do it!! God will be faithful, even if the lesson is perserverance! :)

Blessings to you all xoxoxxo

3 comments:

Heather Princess said...

Yo Sare...if you get that teleporting thing down you must teach me...oh and make Toronto your first stop!!!!!!

Glad you are loving it!

Pete Brookshaw said...

Well said Sarah!

Good to hear a bit of testimony of what God's doing through you guys. God bless you guys. Feel free to teleport up to Darwin when you've got a spare weekend!

Could do some street evangelism together!

Anonymous said...

Hey, well done!

Its up to Him to show up because its His word, His ministry, His spirit and His promise!

It is up to Him to build the house. Allow Him to do so and you will not labor in vain.

Establish your thoughts and everything in Him first, and the rest will fall into place.

Just go on being the eager, obedient vessel. Go on doing your thing, being who you are called to be, dont be intimidated by others.

Be open to new things, but be honest to yourself. Keep going, suck it up!

roz xxx