Saturday, December 29, 2007

CHRISTmas

I have to say I love Christmas - I love the lights, the trees, the gift giving, the cards, the songs, the way everyone is nice to each other and most of all I love the Christmas story.

This year I got some great gifts - Two pairs of Havaiana's (one with bling - thanks Phill & K), Greys Anatomy & Entourage DVD's, jewellry, make up, manicure stuff, awesome bowls for my kitchen, the works. But my two favourite gifts came from friends who chose to make someone elses life better on my behalf. The kids from LiveWires (and my good friend Ann) the kids drop in centre I worked at last year and for the first six months of this year, educated a child for me through TEAR, and my friend from church Wato bought me a chicken through JustSalvos. We have so much "Stuff" in our lives, don't we? This year, I know that two of my friends have ensured that my gift has changed the lives of children and villages.

Isn't that what the Christmas story is about? That God, who created us, loved us so much that He sent His Son to the world to bring love and peace and goodwill. But somewhere along the lines, we've missed the point. We've made Christmas about us, about what we can get and what gifts we can give. And there is nothing wrong with giving gifts - in fact, coming a close second to Physical Touch, Gifts are my love language. I love to give my friends presents, even more than getting gifts. In fact, I loved that at my parents church (South Barwon Salvos) there was so much love among the church family as they gave each other gifts and shared the spirit of Christmas... And because I love gifts, I began to wonder, what gift could I give Jesus - I mean it was His birthday after all.

One of my favourite Christmas Carols (aside from Oh Holy Night, which will make me cry every time), is "In the Bleak Midwinter", in particular the verse:

What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give Him —
Give my heart.


So this year, I want to give Christ the gift of all of me - not just at work, not just in my prayer time, but all year round... My whole heart, not just the lonely parts, the lot.

What can you give Him?

No comments: