Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Girls - won't you help us?!

Please excuse me while I rant for one moment.

I want to rant directly at the girls out there, who are not helping us out one bit. The girls who think that if they sexualise themselves and us, they are powerful. Sex might equal power in your eyes, but I'm sorry - it's not lasting. It's just not. And if you want to be taken seriously, for your voice to be heard, for your opinion to be valued - STOP USING YOUR SEXUALITY!

Agh! It honestly makes me sick.

I've been fighting quite a bad cold lately. It's been annoying more than anything, and over the past three nights it has given me incredibly broken sleep - you know the type, awake for half an hour, sleep for an hour, awake again for an hour... so annoying.

So last night, I decided to sleep on the couch, that way when I awoke, I could watch a bit of telly and doze back off. At about midnight, I arose and put the telly on after taking my panadol, and Video Hits was on. It was a special on Guy Sebastian, so I thought "why not" as we all know I'm a bit of a fan of his. It's nice to see a good Christian guy making it in the mainstream. So I settled down with my cup of tea and proceeded to watch this - what would Pink call her - "Stupid girl" Fuzzy flirting up a storm - giggling and throwing herself at Guy. Seriously, she was batting her eye-lashes, throwing her chest in front of him and just generally flirting up a storm - and it made me feel even more ill! I especially "liked" how when Guy was talking about how he wrote "Oh Oh" to talk about the women who use their female mojo (oh oh) to get guys in trouble, and she leans into him and giggles - HONEY HE'S TALKING ABOUT GIRLS LIKE YOU!!!

Over the past few years, I've been able to go around and talk to girls about femaleness and identity - and mostly, we get to talking about sexuality. I (and a few of my peers) have a theory that the 60's and 70's were all about womens lib - equal rights for men AND women - burning of the bra and all that. Women desperate to be acknowledged and VALUED for who they are. The 80's saw women de-sexualise themselves, taking on a more masculine form in the board-room - being a woman was seen as being weak, so we saw a corporate woman rise up and take her place - among the boys. But the late 90's and recently, it's almost as if we've done a complete backflip thanks to the Paris & Nicole's (and Fuzzy's) in the world who have realized that we can "control" men through our sexuality - so it's okay to be a complete ditz because sex is Power.

No it's not girls. Sex is not power. Sex is a gift. We were created to be sexual yes - it's a gift from God to us - for us to enjoy. But the flip side of that is that it can be used to manipulate and distort our views of why we were created. And don't just think this is a secular thing. I have seen MANY MANY girls in all sorts of different denominations - The Salvation Army included - who are using their sexuality to gain some sort of power over men - AND over other women.

God thinks you are beautiful and created you to be a woman. You don't have to dumb yourself down and sex yourself up in order to be beautiful - you were created that way. And any guy who doesn't see that in you - is not worth his weight in salt! So girls, let's take back our sexuality. Let's use it for good. Let's take the womans heart and soul - the sensitivity God gave us, and use it to change the world - instead of adding to the sexed up emptiness that the world is currently offering!

Girl's - won't you help us?!?!

"You are beautiful with God's Beauty. Beautiful INSIDE and OUT. God be with you!" Luke 1:28 (the message)


2 comments:

Brian's Blog said...

Great Blog!

Blessings!!!

Darren Lamotte said...

Thanks Sarah. As a father of two young girls, and a husband to a beautiful woman I thank you for saying what the world needs to hear. Woman should be and must be equal to men in all areas, but not because of how they look or who they have managed to conquer, but because of their abilities and worth. I know many amazing woman (I probably know more amazing women than men actually) including you Sarah and we need to encourage them to have confidence in themselves for who they are.