Friday, November 30, 2007

How Connected Are You?

Well what a week I had last week. I was at The Salvation Army Southern Territory's "Connections 07" conference, which was an awesome awesome weekend.

On Thursday, I had the privilege of working in the Creche at Officers Councils. It was a privilege, because as an Officers Kid myself (or OK as we like to be called!) I've been to many Officers Councils, and been "baby-sat" by countless strangers. So as an older OK, it was great to be able to give back. I love being an OK, I really do. Yes, there are some really hard times, and as I looked at those 19 children aged 2-5 I knew there was going to be some really tough moves they'd be taken on, but as a whole, what better thing could happen in your life than to be part of your parents ministry? I know that I have met people, and had experiences that God has given me through my parents' ministry that I would not have had if they hadn't answered God's call to be Officers.

Friday was probably my highlight though. I spent time going from session to session with my family - hearing some of the greatest speakers and practitioners in Social Work speaking to some of the most important issues facing our nation. I was uplifted, challenged and blessed by their knowledge and insight. Particularly I got a lot out of Paul Moulds & my dad's session on Distinctive Salvation Army Social Work. I was challenged by them both, that we not only have to be extremely professional in what we do - but that sometimes we have to go against "professional social work" and bring the heart back into what we do. We as social workers have a choice to go after the most difficult "clients" or people, and fight for them - to be their voice when all the "professionals" have given up on them. We must have hope when they have none, and we must believe that their circumstances can change. We must not ban people, and exclude people from our services - for when we do, we go directly against that which makes us distinctive as a church, a movement and an organisation. AMEN!!! If you ever get a chance - go and check out Street Level & Oasis in Sydney - you won't be sorry - it's one of the best Salvation Army Centres in the world (and I've seen a fair few of them), and spend some time under the teaching of the Paul Moulds', David Eldridge (not just cos he's my dad, but because he knows what he's on about!), Wilma Gallet , and Noelle DeClifford (sp?). They not only talk about fighting for the "lost last and least" - they do it!

Friday night was a struggle for me, but made me realize just how far I've come in the past 12 months. How much God has healed me, and that God has rescued me from my pain and placed me exactly where He needs me.... Torquay!! And what a church it is!!

The social action march on Saturday was a big highlight. I loved that as a Salvation Army we stood together to proclaim that Jesus is the answer to the hopelessness in our world, and that we as an Army are here to fight. I loved standing with the children of Torquay, holding our banner they'd had so much fun making, and standing alongside my friends and fellow Salvationists, proudly marching through Melbourne's city!

The rally at Fed Square was awesome - and a special mention needs to go to Dave, Sonia, Heather, Danielle, and the 2Love Team who put on a brilliant youth rally that night! Frankie Wants Out were my favourite (now I am being biased I know, but they rocked!) and it was great to see loads of non-Army people stopping to see what was going on!!

Sunday - what an honour to be part of the Commissioning & Ordination of the newest Captains in The Salvation Army - the Heralds of the Good News, and to celebrate Phill & Catherine Abram (our Corps Officers) being commissioned. As I sat with members of our church - I was touched to share the introduction to the wider Army to many of our new members. The greatest moment of the entire weekend for me was being able to pray as a church, for two of our members, and for Phill & Catherine. And then to watch as one of our church friends went down the front to make a commitment to Jesus, and another one of our church members go forward to express interest in officership - wow... what a day!

I'm loving serving under the wonderful Commissioners Jim & Carolyn Knaggs. What vision they have for our Territory and the Salvation Army!

We're an Army on the move, and it excites me!!! Are you joining us?

No comments: