Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A few hopes for 2008

Well it's the New Year... so HAPPY NEW YEAR! What a great time to reflect on the year that was, and hope for the year that will be.

I've personally started the New Year off exactly how I wish to spend it - surrounded by friends, who love me and whom I love. We had a New Years Eve party at South Barwon Salvos (Mum & Dad's corps) which was filled with great conversation, a fun game of indoor cricket, way too much yummy food, and some...um... interesting performances in our Karaoke time. Midnight came and there were hugs and kisses and more conversations. I went home and sent my annual New Years email out, and headed to bed.

New Years Day was productive, and ended in me having dinner with my dear friends Sarah, James, Amelie & Wato. As I headed home last night I stopped for a moment and looked at how much my life has changed over the last 6 months. For example, my friendship with Sarah & James (and their delightful daughter Amelie)... I met them on January 21st 2007. Over the first six months of 2007 we would occasionally chat but it probably wasn't until my birthday that I really got to know Sarah. Now, just six months on, I couldn't imagine my life without her in it! It's nice to be around friends you don't have to try too hard with isn't it? I mean we always seem to have something to talk about, something to laugh about - and some of the best times I've had with them, have been in front of the telly or a coffee, or playing with their gorgeous daughter Amelie (who is my best friend, just ask her!!) It's a similar story for most of my friends I see on a regular basis now - they weren't even in my life this time last year, but now they are so important to me, I couldn't imagine not having them around.

So what are my hopes for 2008? I've made two resolutions.

1. To make more of an effort to strengthen my friendships. That means those that are just new, and those that I've had for many years but have lost contact with in the hustle and bustle of life. I needed to take 6 months to fully immerse myself into the culture of my new church and job, but now I've done that, I need to make more time for friends outside of Torquay too. So I'll be doing that more this year.

and

2. I need to see more Theatre, Musicals, Orchestras & live bands this year. Going to musical theatre (sorry to be a snob but pretty much only professional theatre!) is what I love to do to unwind, and I barely saw any shows last year. So this year, I'm going to make the effort to head down and see more musicals - starting with Guys & Dolls which my friend Troy is in, and then also Wicked when it opens (which I hope will have friends in too!). I also want to get down to Melbourne to see the MSO again. I'm going to check out when their free concerts are on, and go down with friends like I did last year. It's always a beautiful night. I'm also going to actually pay to see them once this year (I've yet to pay to see them!), perhaps when they've got some of their younger performers with them.

What about you?! What are your hopes and dreams for this year? I just know that 2008 is going to be a wonderful year. I can already feel it! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't know me, you probably never will as i'm the other side of the world, but i just wanted to tell you that i've spent a good part of the evening reading through your blogs and that God's spoken to me sooooo much through it. Thankyou for your heart, wisdom and obedience, and I pray God blesses you hugely in the days to come.

Much love girl, keep going, he's doing amazing things through you.

x

Sarah Eldridge said...

Dear anonymous,

You have been a blessing to me today, with your kind words and encouragement.

I'm at times overwhelmed to think that people actually read this blog (I mean people who don't have to!!) but am thankful that God uses the way in which I'm being taught, moulded and guided to reach others.

God bless you in your journey, and know you're in my prayers today.

And who knows - stranger things have happened than meeting across the miles - I'm known to make my presence known in England and am planning to get to Canada so who knows! :)

Love & Blessings to you!