Thursday, March 06, 2008

Proud of our Heritage!

I am currently reading our fearless Territorial Youth Secretary, Captain Dave Collinson, and my friend Nealson Munn's book 'INSANE' - it is essentially a modern day look at the history of The Salvation Army...and it is a brilliant read. I couldn't recommend it more highly!

It is getting me so excited, to look at the rich heritage in which us Salvos come from. I'm not going to go into all the stories, because in reality a lot of us already know them. What I am going to say is this - my resolve to be part of this amazing church and organization for the rest of my life has been strengthened by being reminded of our heritage by this book.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night, and we were chatting about The Salvation Army, and how being part of The Salvation Army is unlike being part of any other church. She grew up in Sunbeams, and has known Salvos throughout her life, but has never actually attended the church. She commented that there is something different about us Salvos, she can't quite put her finger on it though. I tried to explain what I think she was meaning, and without wanting to offend anyone, I'm going to try to explain here also.

Being a Salvo *IS* different to being from any other church. There is something different, a stronger connection perhaps? I don't think you really truly understand it unless you were born into The Salvation Army, or you were converted in the Salvation Army. Maybe you do - but I think there is a difference when The Salvos have been your only spiritual home, or your first spiritual home. Unlike other churches - such as the AOG's, the Baptists, the Anglicans, the Uniting Church, the Catholics, etc., The Salvation Army are truly international. I'm not talking about being in other countries - all those churches are - I'm talking about being truly CONNECTED internationally. In no other church I've been affiliated with (Baptist & Non-denominational Anglican-ish), have I heard them talk about what is happening in Corps overseas, or has anyone cared who the overseas pastor for such and such a church is. Yet in the Army, even today, we read of who has been appointed as Commissioner here, or Chief Secretary there. When you turn up to an Army corps, anywhere in the world, you are home. You are welcomed in. You have something in common. We all share a common mission, common values, common uniforms, common songbooks and common theology. Whilst we express these things in a uniquely community appropriate way, at our core, we are one big happy family.

We have held onto our mission and our calling (mostly, though of course there are some hiccups along the way) for our entire existence, internationally. We remain "One Army Under God". I could not imagine not being intricately linked to people all over the world, or not knowing what is going on in the next church over, let alone the next church after that. Salvos do know what's going on - we share conferences, youth events, camps, and sporting teams. Being a Salvo isn't just about where you attend church, but who you are as a person.

When I left the Army for that period of time (the time I call being a spiritual refugee!) I could not find even remotely that which I felt in the Army. Sure there were successful youth groups and amazing teaching at the churches I could attend - but they were all so... I don't know... Isolated amongst themselves? Individual? I don't know what it was, but the feeling was disconnection with a wider vision.

I love that when I put on my Army uniform (well t-shirt at the moment, uniform to come when I can afford it!! haha!), I cease to be Sarah Eldridge, and stand there as a member of The Salvation Army. I am defined by the Red Shield, the crest, the uniform, and my heritage. I stand there and people know that I am safe. That I am a follower of Jesus. That I will do what I can to serve them as Jesus would. What other church can truly state that for it's individual members?

THIS is why the uniform is important. THIS is why remaining with the structures we have in place, no matter how frustrating they may be, is important. THIS is why the band, and the timbrels, and the sunbeams, and the guards, and the junior soldiers and the senior soldiers is important. Because they connect us with that rich heritage of ours - and it's something we should be proud of not shy away from.

I can't wait to be an Officer within this Army. I can't wait to serve and do my part. I can't wait to stand before the Candidates Board, and tell them about how I want to be a truly international officer, like those of old, who were sent wherever to do whatever the Army needs me to do. I am so excited that God has called me to Officership. I was scared, but I'm not anymore. Because God has called us to be something different, and to do something different, and we need to remember that!

Bring on the future I say, because if the past is anything to go on, we have some amazing stories yet to be written! It's INSANE! :)




PS. You can purchase INSANE from Salvo Supplies, if you want to know where, let me know! It's only $10 and well worth every cent of it!

1 comment:

Darren Lamotte said...

Great Post. It makes you proud to belong to "The Army !" I think we seem too concerned about not wanting to be different about fitting in with the other churches rather than standing for what we are and what God wants us to be.
Do you know what year you are looking at for college?
Catch you soon.
God Bless
Darren