Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pastor or CEO?

This is the question I've been forced to ask myself in the lead up to the Forge Gathering and Salvo Youth Workers Conference. I've been asking myself, because I've been given two books to read: Andy Stanley's "7 Practices of Effective Ministry" and John Maxwell's "21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership". Both of them are supposedly meant to help us become better at what we do - better at ministry - better at strategic planning and the likes. I'd like to say I've finished them both already, but the truth is I'm really struggling to get through them!

My problem is, if I was a CEO, I would gain a lot of knowledge from these books. They have great BUSINESS tools to share with us. But I'm sick to the back teeth of shallow consumer driven, numbers focussed teaching! It's almost like a large chunk of the Christian world is trying to make the Church more like the Business world, instead of making the Business world more like the Church!!!

Dave Collinson blogged (See the Captain Collo blog link), about a session he went to at the Forge Gathering called "The Cult Of Leadership", I highly recommend you checking it out. You see we are trying so hard to become great leaders, that we're neglecting to follow the example of Jesus... and what form of leadership did Jesus impart?

"Jesus knew that the Father had given Him authority over everything and that He ahd come from God and would return to God. So He got up from the table, took of His robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then He began to was the disciples feet, drying them with the towel He had around Him." (John 13:2-5)

"After washing their feet, He put on His robe again and sat down and asked, 'Do you not understand what I was doing? You call me Lord and Teacher, and you are right because that's what I am. And since I, your Lord and Teacher have washed your feet, you ought to wash other's feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.'" (John 13:12-17)


So to be a disciple of Jesus, we need to care less about our position in the church, less about the consumer-driven attitude of life, and more about serving others, loving others, and doing to others that which Christ has done for us... that's what makes a Pastor. All the other things? They're simply worldly advice to make us better CEO's...and I don't know about you... But I'd rather be a Pastor!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the church should be leading the way. However, the Church is lacking good leaders and often the good leaders get burnt by the church they are serving.

As far as the business world is concerned, a lot of leaders that the church has would not be given positions of responsibility in the business world.

Church's need to spend more time on training Pastors and their leadership on how to effectively lead.

Sarah Eldridge said...

I completely understand what you're getting at Vaughan, but what I was trying to say is that good leadership - if we are following the model of Jesus - begins with good servanthood, and the church is being sold the lie that training good leaders and being a good leader is more important than service - it's a lie! People look to the church to find Jesus - and Jesus did not read the 21 Irrefutable Laws - He got on His knees and washed the feet of His disciples. The church needs more leaders like that - more interested in serving than in being "known"

Darren Lamotte said...

If you read my blog you would have read a similar post to this last month. I couldn't agree with you more, I feel very strongly that we need to focus back on what we as followers of Christ are called to be.... Servants !
It is good to hear that others are thinking the same way and it is not just me.
Keep preaching you amazing woman and people will hopefully hear the message.
I cant wait to be a pastor with you !
Darren

Sarah Eldridge said...

Thanks Darren, I did indeed read your blog on the topic a few weeks ago! There are a few of us, very like minded out there, feeling the same thing, coversations with these people and reading their blogs have prompted me to write this blog.

I can't wait to be a Pastor with you guys either!! Hopefully we'll get a few stints in the same Divisions to be able to!! IF not... you are at least going to be Session Mates yes?!?! *hopeful thinking here!*

love & blessings to you, Susan & the kids,
Sare xoxo

Shar said...

Hey Sarah,

Great to read your thoughts. Keep it up, keep wrestling with what it means to be a disciple who's changing the world. I agree with you that servanthood is a must for any disciple of Jesus...after all, we are trying to be like him aye. The cool thing about Jesus is that he was strategic and served...so it doesnt have to be either or but both and. God does tell us that its his job to build the church so the whole numbers thing is a distraction that unfortunately too many people see as the main attraction. Our job is to SEEK FIRST the Kingdom of God...so we can seek, serve and strategise :)

blessings

Anonymous said...

So many of us are in a real dilemna at the moment as we feel called to serve the least, the last and the lost and yet we are being driven to become corporate style leaders in corporate style churches which attract the middle classes (yes I know they need God too and there are lots of churches that cater for this classs)

I often feel I have one foot on one side and dangle my toe over the other trying to keep in line with the Organisational push at this present time. However my heart aches for those that have been margainalized by society and need someone to Pastor them... in fact I think there are many in this world that need a pastor.

Hoooo Hummm