Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Go together like a Horse and Carriage

As you can tell, I’m kinda on a “Salvation Army” distinctive rant at the moment. I think it’s probably because I’m passionate about our Army. I’m passionate about the movement we were, and the movement we are called to be. I’m concerned about some of the present trends and practices, and I’m reflecting on what I believe about them – keeping in mind that as an Officer in The Salvation Army – in the future, I will be in a position of leadership, at the very least (though I think it’s the most!) at a local level.

One of the things I’m really concerned about is the almost complete isolation of our Social Services and our Corps from each other. There are many amazing integrated ministries across our Territory, but at this stage, not every Social Service/Programme is attached to a Corps. More concerning for me though, is that not every Corps has aligned itself with a Social Service/Programme.

William Booth quoted many times the importance of having both, though I’m sure he never had in mind the split we have at the moment. Booth proclaimed “Soup, Soap, Salvation!” in that order… and was quoted as saying “But what is the use of preaching the Gospel to men whose whole attention is concentrated upon a mad, desperate struggle to keep themselves alive?” You see, yes, we were indeed called to be a Christian Movement, to spread the love of God to everyone we meet, to share the message of Jesus, and to bring people into the Kingdom. There was always, and should always, be a leaning towards the poor and marginalized within our community.


Booth also warned against becoming purely a Charity when he stated:
“To get a man soundly saved it is not enough to put on him a pair of new breeches, to give him regular work, or even to give him a University education. These things are all outside a man, and if the inside remains unchanged you have wasted your labor. You must in some way or other graft upon the man's nature a new nature, which has in it the element of the Divine.”

Corps & Social, Social & Corps…they go together, the are not separate entities. When we look at Jesus ministry, did He ever say “Well today, I’m all about building my church, let’s leave the work of healing the sick to the doctors, and serving the poor to the social workers, I’m called to build the church!”…. NO!! (“TEN THOUSAND TIMES NO!!”) Jesus constantly and consistently led His disciples to the poor, to being on the move, serving community after community, person after person, exactly where they are at. Not expecting them to go to a fully established service with professionals, or to come to a church and act as they should, in order to be accepted. No! It was quite the opposite… Jesus went out, and served people where they were at, and in turn, those people became followers of Him. So if we are truly honestly Christians (which is to say we are FOLLOWERS of Christ) then we are called to do likewise… to serve people and love them exactly as they are… and in turn, to trust that their Saviour will fill them with the hope they need to fight their battles and demons. How can we do that, when we are so comfortable in our churches?

Now I’ve worked in both Corps & Social, I see the value in both. I love both. I am able to see that one cannot, and must not exist without the other. I’m tired of Salvationists whinging and moaning that our Social Centres are staffed by non-Christians. To those that do, I say… where are you? Have you gone and studied, to become qualified in a field, so that you might serve our Social Centres? The buck has to stop with someone… can it stop with you?

We are so quick as Salvationists to judge the Army, but often, I find, we’re not overly quick to do anything about it! If you are an accountant, are you working for the Army? If you’re a teacher, are you working for the Army? If you are a social worker, are you working for the Army? How about if you are a cook, or a cleaner, or a receptionist? Because we’re desperate for all those roles, and whilst Salvationists are not getting trained up and working in them, we’re having to employ non-Christians. Perhaps if you can't work for the Army, you've got a few hours a week to help out at one of our Centres? You have no idea how much that would bless the staff!

Those of you who are qualified and are working for the Army, are you being a true expression of Salvationism within your job? Are your co-workers respecting you because you are giving above and beyond your job’s requirement? Or do you slack off and expect to cut corners because you’re a Salvo? This isn’t a judgement, I know many many BRILLIANT Salvationists who are serving God by using their skills and giftings by working for The Army. But sadly, many of our Social Centre managers have not such a great idea of Salvo’s working for The Army, and it had to come from somewhere. These are questions I ask of myself constantly in my work. When I turn up to work at welfare or in housing, am I a good example of The Salvation Army, not only to the clients, but also to my colleagues? Because if I’m not, I’m part of the problem not the solution!

And in our Corps… when someone from one of our Social Centres come along, do you introduce yourself? Do you offer to get them a coffee, or lend a listening ear? Do you sit with them, and explain what’s going on in our Services? Or are you expecting others to do it? You see, if we truly want to see our Corps grow, we need to start asking these tough questions of ourselves. We were not designed to be a middle-class church, we were created and formed to be a movement showing the love of Christ by serving others.

We’re a hard core movement… are you ready? Are you willing? Would you lay down your life for it? Because the Army needs militant Salvationists… it needs people who are going to say “Here I am Lord, take ALL of me”, because without those Salvationists, we’re nothing but a happy clappy church or a charity… the future is in our hands… decisions need to be made… I’ve made mine… have you?

I leave you with a challenge from our Founder, General William Booth in 1910 (most of you know it already, and some bits are possibly misquoted, to which I apologise):


“I am glad you're enjoying yourselves. The Salvationist is the friend of happiness. Making heaven on earth is our business. "Serve the Lord with gladness" is one of our favourite mottos. So I am pleased that you are pleased.

But amidst all of your joys, don't forget the sons and daughters of misery. Do you ever visit them? Come away and let us make a call or two.

Here is a home, six in family. They eat and drink and sleep and sicken and die in the same chamber.

There is a drunkard's hovel, void of furniture, wife a skeleton, children in rags, father maltreating the victims of his neglect.

Here are the unemployed wandering about seeking work and finding none.

Yonder are the wretched criminals, cradled in crime, tracking in and out of the prisons all the time.

There are the daughters of shame, deceived and wronged and ruined, travelling down the dark incline to an early grave.

There are the children, fighting in the gutters, going hungry to school, growing up to fill their parents' places.

Brought it all on themselves do you say? Perhaps so, but that does not excuse our assisting them. You don't demand a certificate of virtue before you drag the drowning creature out of the water. Nor the assurance that a man has paid his rent before you deliver him from the burning building.

But what shall we do? Content ourselves by singing a hymn, offering a prayer or giving a little good advice?

No, ten thousand times, no.

We will pity them, feed them, reclaim them, employ them. Perhaps we shall fail with many -quite likely. But our business is to help them all the same and that in the most practical, economical and Christ-like manner.

So let us haste to the rescue for the sake of our own peace, the poor wretches themselves (seen as the children) and the Saviour of us all.

But you must help with the means. And as there is nothing like the present, who in this company will lend a hand by taking up a collection?”

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bit over a year ago (if meomry serves me correctly) the catch phrase around the Territory was "Integrated Mission". The push was to get back to social programmes linking with corps. At Launceston we have several programmes (needle exchange; youth early intervention) among others as a starting point.

We've also started a group going out and serving homeless people and that ministry is booming and bearing fruit.

Buff

Anonymous said...

So...how long before you can come to the Yarra Valley and expand the work with EastCare and Healesville Corps so that they are truly integrated!!! It is interesting to note though, that many of the people I come across think we are integrated! I have enquiries about Employment Plus, Salvo Stores, homelessness support, and kid's activities all come to me! Perhaps that's the benefits of a "small town"! Its great being able to work together - and I don't think it matters that there are separate facilities...perhaps we're just taking over the town one building at a time!

Sarah Eldridge said...

Hey G,
I guess I'm talking more about a mindset rather than a building... It would be really difficult to run everything from the one building (though Brunswick & 614 proved it was possible!!), but many people's mindsets seem to be "The Salvation Army is a Church" or "The Salvation Army is Social" - we need more Salvationists (much like yourself!!) who go out there and say "I am The Salvation Army - I'm a Corps and I'm here to serve the broken"... As for when I can come to the Yarra Valley - I told you... SPEAK TO THE COLLEGE! haha! :)

Love & Blessings to you xox

Sarah Eldridge said...

Hey Buff - Amen Brother! That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Keep up the great work Launceston, we need more Corps like you! :)

Anonymous said...

As I read your article I see two sides of the story. Yes, the poor and marginalised because of their need for our Social and welfare services which will hopefully lead some of them to an answer in Christ, but also those who are poor and marginalised in spirit. These people are quite often affluent but just as much in need of the Saviour and a helping hand to get them to understand that. All too often we overlook this fact because we are so concerned about those who have little of this worlds goods. All need the same Saviour whether they be amongst our social welfare clients or whether they have everything but really have nothing. May God help us to serve humanity as a whole and bring them to the One who can heal their broken-ness regardless of the cause.

Anonymous said...

I am fearful you will give LONG sermons!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was toalking to our Officers on the weekend and apparantly Launceston is the only Corps in the world running a needle exchange programme from within the Corps. The Army runs a programme in St Kilda, but it's not housed at a Corps.

Buff :-)

Sarah Eldridge said...

Anon 1 - Ah, yes, the middle class do indeed need Jesus, there is absolutely no denying that. But with every single other denomination planting themselves in those areas, do The Salvation Army really need to be there? Or do in fact, we need to stay true to our initial calling and purpose? Just a question... Another question...if we are in middle class areas, should we not be perhaps aiming not at bringing justice in those communities - case in point Camberwell & Box Hill & Adelaide Congress Hall - all Corps in relatively wealthy areas, all Corps are doing great work bringing justice to their communities. We're not a middle class church, nor should we be, I don't believe. When we lose our focus, we lose that which makes us distinctive, and eventually, I think that will kill our movement.

Anon 2 - haha, yes I do have the gift of the gab (family trait!), fortunately for people in congregations - unless I've been asked to speak for a specific amount of time (ie. Blackstump a few years back), I try to keep it within 10-20mins, as beyond that you lose interest and so do I!- with a blog, people can just stop reading, harder to do that with church! :)

Buff - I had no idea you guys do that! That's great! I did my work experience with the needle exchange in St Kilda and loved it. Wow, having it at a Corps -that's not only progressive, but very smart, a great opportnity to speak words of life and encourage them to turn away from poisoning themselves, wow. Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you have slightly misunderstood my first comment. I admire any Corps like Camberwell, Box Hill etc (my brother attends 1 of those Corps) and is deeply involved in ministry. The Corps to which I belong also seeks to bring in and work with the non middle class. I have just returned from our Corps after spending time praying with a man who was met in the Pub. He has deep needs which we talked about and I ministered to him and prayed with him and for him and his family. We have more than one of these people that we are getting involved with and doing all we can to lead them to the Saviour. He is not middle class or any other class. I personally don't put people into categories because as I stated earlier all need the same Saviour. May we be used by God to bring them to Him. Yesterday I ministered to someone in my work place who is going through a really desperate time. God uses us wherever we are and to whomever He leads us and that is our calling - to share His love and light to all we meet regardless of circumstances and backgrounds.

Sarah Eldridge said...

Anon- absolutely agreed! I was thinking more bigger picture stuff, rather than at an individual level I guess... that each Corps should align itself with a Social Programme and each Social Programme should be attached to a Corps (if not in building, certainly in policy!)

:) Keep up the great work!

Joel Clifford said...

I have noticed recently a trend among some in The Salvation Army to ignore those considered better off for the sake of those who are indeed more physically needy. The people doing this claim to be going back to the foundations of the early "Army" again.

I however, am not sure that we were ever meant to ignore those who are more externally wealthy. if my memory serves me correctly, while William Booth was out preaching to the poor on the streets of London's East End, Catherine Booth was at the other end of town speaking to the wealthy, gathering support in both spiritual and financial ways for the work William was doing. I think, truth be told, we need a few congregations in more affluent areas who are willing to tithe and support the work of The Salvation Army in those areas less affluent. Either that or we need Bill Gates to become a Salvo and move to Australia. The reality is that the work we do needs money to happen, and althought Red Shield Appeal helps, it is not enough. Corps and Social need to work together, corps and corps need to work together and support each other to though.

Anonymous said...

The Salvos are a large and complex machine. Guided and directed by machine men and machine women.

A hierarchical organisation where the switched on are tuned into the top brass mindset and can master the political games that bureaucratic organsitions trigger.

Do you like operating complex machinery, Sarah? Can you bullshit your way up the slippery pole of higher appointments?

Sarah Eldridge said...

Joel - don't disagree with you, but it wasn't really the point of the blog. The point of the blog is that we can't have one without the other... The problem is that those middle-class Corps have often isolated themselves from the Social Programmes we run - and the problem with that is that there is a bit of an inward-focus happening, and we lose the things that make The Salvation Army distinctive. If a middle-class Corps aligns itself with a Social Programme, then I have absolutely know problem with it... I think that's the ideal. But if it doesn't... then maybe we need to question what the purpose is!?! Likewise, if a Social Programme isn't willing to be aligned with a Corps - then maybe we need to question what the purpose of it is?!

Just a thought.

David - Hmmm... Politics isn't really my thing... so I guess we'll see huh?! As for me, I'm just hoping to serve God, and serve others. That's the aim... Moving up the ladder - doesn't really bother me - if I do, I hope I'll have people there that will keep me accountable, focussed and honest. Stand me down and throw me out of the Army if I ever become a 'Career Officer' though... I'm not interested! :)

Anonymous said...

Stand me down and throw me out of the Army if I ever become a 'Career Officer' though... I'm not interested! :)

Reminds me of a sign my mother-in-law had pinned on her wall while at IHQ - "God is not impressed by rank"

Buff

Sarah Eldridge said...

Buff - Amen brother!! Your mother-in-law has always been a VERY wise woman!! I love her. I really do. :)

Darren Lamotte said...

I cant believe so may officers get caught up in rank and who has the better job. Kind of defeats the call of God doesnt it. I agree wholeheartedly Sarahour corps and social are like two totally different organisations and to some extent different worlds and if we are to be what God created us to be we need to fix that soon.
Love Darren xoxox ps Give me a call