Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Daughters of the King....

This one goes out to the boys who read my blog. And it's going to be harsh, and I don't apologise.

I am sick to the back teeth of all the sexist innuendo that seems to dominate the boys club in most groups. I'm not surprised by it, but I'm sick of it. I'm tired of all the "girls should be in the kitchen or the bedroom" jokes - they're simply NOT funny. I'm most disappointed when I hear these jokes, and this attitude coming from CHRISTIAN men. It's not very Christ-like boys and it HAS TO STOP!

We often joke in our group that "words have power" but you know what, it's not a joke, words really do have power. And I'm starting to witness a few of the younger girls I'm in close relationship with be stripped of their worth by guys that think they are being funny. NOT ONCE did Jesus EVER make a woman feel like a second-class citizen. NOT ONCE did Jesus EVER encourage men to shame a woman - in fact if we look at the story of the woman caught in an adulterous relationship and in danger of being stoned to death, Jesus went TOTALLY against the grain and defended her stating that "He who is without sin cast the first stone" He then goes on to tell her that He doesn't condemn her and she is to go and sin no more. (you can read this in John 8:1-11).

To say it's just "boys being boys" is not a good enough response in a Christian circle. I'm sorry boys, but it's just not good enough. For some guys it is just a joke, and they totally and utterly respect women, but for some, and I'm seeing this increasingly, it actually goes deeper than that. They're actually disrespecting the women in their lives in other ways - perhaps treating them as a sexual object, dismissing their opinion, treating them as second class, or stripping them of any real value or worth. This is dangerous ground, and it's time those of you men who know your GODLY place in a woman's life started standing up and fighting this attitude!

I'm so thankful to God for placing some amazing men in my life. I have some men who not only value and respect me, they actually go out of their way to remind me of my worth, of my value to them and to Christ. Men like my father, go out of their way to let the women in their life feel valued and supported. They seek their advice, and appreciate their giftings. I could name at least a dozen good Christian men like that, men that walk so closely with Christ, the idea of degrading a woman doesn't even cross their mind. I have indeed been very blessed in my life with such men!

So I'm on a new rampage - if you're a Christian man in my life, or in the life of any of the girls I am in contact with watch out - it's time to start remembering that the women in your lives are Princesses, they are daughters of the MOST HIGH King... and you are to respect, love and value them accordingly. Be prepared for quoted scriptural passages, and well thought out and theologically checked arguments if you even try to disrespect one of these Princesses.

And to all my sisters out there - learn your worth, learn you are highly favoured by the Creator of the Universe, learn that you have a valid voice...and use it to demand the respect YOU deserve!

Be blessed xx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!

Dr. Gail said...

As a fellow Daughter of the King, I salute you. This post blessed me beyond words. If our brothers disrespect us, what can we expect from the world? Thank for expressing your heart and the heart of so many of us.

Gail Hayes, author of the book, Daughters of the King

Anonymous said...

wow Sare, i really loved this blog, and in all honesty I cried. Im not one to cry in movies or definately reading someones blog. I cried because it involves me, i am stuck with some friends who do this and it hurts. Im with you in being disgusted about the 'woman should be in the kitchen, they're good for cooking and cleaning' thing..
Because 1. it does makes me feel like I have no worth.. and 2. I cant cook anyway!! sorry future husband =P ha.
They say its a 'joke', but when it goes to far and hurts your friends, thats definately beyond a joke.
I'm happy that you are not taking any crap from any of them. Thankyou because I don't have the guts to do that. You're an amazing woman of Jesus! I pray blessings and more blessings upon you this year.
Love you lots! xxx

ps.. thats soo cool, that author lady! wow. Good networking strategies haha. I cant write anything without putting something silly on it.. its just not me ;)

Unknown said...

booya. Thats about as holy of a response as I can muster! Love you and adding you to my blogroll seeing as I forgot you had a blog!!! xoxo

Sarah Eldridge said...

Tish - Thanks hon! I got a lovely message from your dad about this post too! So sweet!

Dr Gail - Wow, I'm truly humbled by your words. I never realized there was a book of the same title, and I'll definately be trying to get my hands on a copy! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and the time to comment!

Sare - Honey, you were definately one of the gorgeous Daughters of the King I was referring to in this blog post. You deserve better, and the boys are going to start feeling the wrath of Sarah if they ever make you or any one of the precious girls in our circle feel devalued!

Mel - You of all people, can take a great deal of credit for this blog... you and the other Anya girls were pivotal in helping me to find my voice and realize my worth. You are a soul-sister in every sense of the word to me. I love you xxx

Chelsea Ellen said...

Honey, I'm loving the latest post! you know what? I was only reading this verse (about the adulteress woman... "he who is without sin may cast the first stone") last night!!! WOW! no coincidence there! A God thing for sure! love you lots, thanks for the encouraging words!

Chelsea Ellen said...

honey, thank you so much for your latest posting! wow! such God timing there too... I only just read that story last night!!(John 8;1-11)

Thank you for the encouraging words, and your boldness!
Your blogs are very encouraging to me esp.

much love x

Shar said...

Hey Sarah, great blog. I think relationships can be really challenging sometimes. One could be forgiven for feeling confused when looking at the various books written on the subject - I kissed dating goodbye vs I gave dating a chance, if men are like buses how do I catch one, what happens when Prince charming falls off his horse, you didnt complete me...the list could go on.

In terms of the idea of being pursued, I read once the idea that when God was creating Eve, he had put Adam to sleep. It wasnt until Eve was fully who God created her to be that God woke Adam, presented Eve to him, and Adam made his choice. It was talking about how too many girls put themselves out there before they are ready, before "adam" is ready to see her, and recognise her for the amazing creature that she is...I kinda liked that picture.

Anyway, keep up the posts, they are encouraging and definately food for thought. See you at Insane. Huge blessings xxx