Monday, December 29, 2008

Plastic Fantastic?!

Okay, so I've got another bee in my bonnet. It's something I've been speaking with a few friends about, and something that my dear friend - the other Sarah E - has noted on facebook...and that's the phenomena of the "Fake" person.

I'm so over people being complete chameleon's... you know, changing who they are depending on their environment or who they're with. No obviously, we show slight changes in personality around different people. I know I'm definately more "myself" with some of my friends, than I am with others. I know that I'm definately more quiet and reserved in my opinions and feelings and views around some groups of people. That's not what I'm talking about at all, because truth be known, my friends wouldn't look at me in another group and say "Who is she?!"

No what I'm talking about is when someone is completely different. Perhaps they are a mature Christian person who you call upon for advice, and then you see them acting in a way that both disappoints you and calls you to question whether they really are someone you can trust to give you advice? Or perhaps someone is really nasty to you when you're alone or in one group, but then acts as though they are your best friend when you are with another group. I think they're as bad as each other to be honest.

I am loving the movie "Twilight" at the moment, and in one scene, Bella turns to Edward and says "Your mood swings are giving me whiplash"... and THAT's what I'm talking about. The sort of "fake" that makes you question whether they are actually your friend or not.

You see, God calls us to be honest and real. To be true to ourselves and who HE has called us to be. Friends who you need to change in order to impress, are not really friends. And that's the hard reality I've learned this last few weeks. A dear session mate and close friend of mine, Sare, gave me a really good way to assess whether you are being fake or not. She said that you should think of the most holy person you know, someone who you really truly respect and love, and think about whether you would act the same way you are acting in front of them. I'd take it a step further. When I'm with my friends, I like to imagine Jesus is sitting next to me and watching my behaviour and I can see Him right there - would I be saying and doing the same things I am now?! Would I be childish? Or nasty? Or moody? Would I talk trashy? Would I disrespect other people?

The answer is and should be no.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah people are really driving me up the wall lately. They're caring about themselves and what they look like infront of other people, and they dont seem to care who they hurt on the way to becoming the 'cool' kid. People should care more about living for Jesus and pleasing Him rather than to please other people.
Thankyou Sare for always being who you TRUELY are, and not getting sucked into the 'cool' club.. or the FAN club. But you're apart of the JESUS FAN CLUB! AMEN =D
love your guts xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey girls,

its called "hyprocicy". unfortunately "they" are everywhere. their behaviour is an attempt to hide their own insecurity.

they also need the love of Christ. once they see it operating in you genuinely, they will drop the act, and be themselves, warts and all.

from an older girl who knows....xx