Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother Mother...

So yesterday was Mothers Day... a day where you celebrate your Mum. I love that there is a day to celebrate everything that our Mothers do for us. And I'm really lucky, my Mum is a legend. She honestly is. She's one of the most beautiful women I know, and is so much more than my mum, she's my best friend and closest confidante. There's not a thing about me my Mum doesn't know, and she loves me anyway! :)

The only thing I think needs to be adjusted slightly (which is a concept interestingly, that my Mum introduced me to!), is that rather than just celebrating our earthly Mums, why don't we take time to celebrate our Spiritual Mothers. At South Barwon (and interestingly at every other Corps my parents have been in command of!) we celebrate 'Mothering Sunday', and church members are encouraged to not only celebrate their earthly mothers, but to take a moment to thank those women for whom take on an a "spiritual mother" role in our lives. I LOVE THAT CONCEPT.

I have some amazing women in my life, women who have taken the time to truly pour their time, their gifts and their love into my life. I am who I am because of these women. These are the women who will take me for coffee, have a laugh with me, pray for me, and be available for me when I need them. They open their hearts and their homes to me. Two of these women who instantly spring to mind - have never had their own children.

So, why not take a moment to thank the "spiritual" mothers in your life. The women who love you and support you and pray for you and are just "there" when you need them!?

I know I will be.

No comments: